The MIS Career Choice Scholarship Program aims to widen awareness of career choices in the IT field for business students and to augment IT workforce development in Hawaii. Currently, there is a large and growing demand for IT knowledge workers in Hawaii unmet by the supply of Shidler College of Business (SCB) MIS graduates. This semester, the MIS Career Choice Scholarship Program will accept 7 motivated undergraduates who choose to be MIS majors, or double/triple majors. Different from other scholarship programs, the MIS Career Choice Scholarship program will provide each scholarship recipient not only a $1,000 cash award but also one-year CIO mentorship, provided by members of the CIO Advisory Board.
The sponsorship for this program varies each semester. The 2015 Fall program was sponsored by the Hawaii International Conference on System Science (HICSS) under the leadership of Dr. Tung Bui, HICSS Co-chair and Chair of Department of Information Technology Management (ITM) at the SCB. The 2016 Spring Program is sponsored by 1) the CIO Council of Hawaii, President Alan Ito, 2) ITM Alumni Advisory Board member, Mr. Chris Erice, 3) ITM Alumni Advisory Board member, Ms. Susan Lam, and 4) ITM Professor, Dr. Hong-Mei Chen.
- Must declare MIS as major or double/triple major by the application deadline.
- Minimum GPA is 3.2.
- At least one year remaining in the MIS program before graduation.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
- April 15, 2016
Scholarship recipients will be notified by April 25, 2016
Submit application and the following documents here:
- Basic information (Complete the online form)
- Personal essay (limit to three single-space pages) which should include:
a. Long-term career goals and your plan of achieving them
b. Articulation of the critical role of IT in business
c. Reasons for choosing MIS as your major or double/triple major
d. Reasons for applying to the MIS Career Choice Scholarship Program
- UH transcript
- One letter of recommendation from Shidler College of Business instructors
- Supplemental material: at least one additional reference letter
For more information, please contact Dr. Hong-Mei Chen, email@example.com