Who May Apply for the Business Minor?
Currently enrolled UHM classified students, not enrolled or intending to enroll in the Shidler College of Business (to pursue a BBA degree), who will meet all (see below) Shidler College of Business admission requirements no later than the end of the semester before the expected date of entrance.
Once students are admitted to the business minor program, they will no longer be eligible to pursue a BBA degree at Shidler College.
The Fall 2020 application will be available in early January 2020.
- 60 credits (junior standing)
- Cumulative GPA of 2.50 in all course grades (attempted at both UH Mānoa and all other colleges attended). If a student has earned 30 or more credits at UH Mānoa with a cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher, the transfer GPA will not be used to determine admission.
- Combined 2.50 GPA in the following pre-business courses with no grade below "C" (not "C-"). Please note that "C" grades cannot be repeated. All attempts will be taken into account; the grade replacement policy is applicable only for Manoa courses.
- LTEC 112 AND LTEC 113 or ICS 101
- One of Econ 120, 130, or 131
- ACC 201
Effective Fall 2019, ACC 200 will replace the admission requirement of ACC 201. Students who have taken ACC 201 prior to Fall 2019 will have ACC 201 as their admission requirement.
- Calculus (BUS 250 or MATH 203 or 215 or 241(205) or 251 or NREM 203) or Statistics (EDEP 429 or NREM 310 or ECON 321 or PSY 225 or SOCS 225).
- PSY 100 or SOC 100
GPA Calculation Note
If a student takes a DIFFERENT course to raise his/her GPA (e.g. earned "C" in PSY 100, earned a "B" in SOC 100), the higher grade will be used to calculate the pre-business GPA (since it was earned in a different course). If courses are repeated, then ALL non-UHM grades will be factored into the cumulative GPA calculation. Since Fall 2012, UHM Grade Replacement Policy became effective for any repeated UHM courses.
Minor in Business - Requirements
The Minor in Business Administration shall consist of 15 credits.
Required (6 credits):
- BUS 312 Principles of Marketing: (3 credits)
- BUS 315 Global Management and Organizational Behavior: (3 credits; prerequisite course of either PSY 100 or SOC 100, which is a Business Minor admissions requirement)
Electives (9 credits):
- ACC 200 (if entered prior to Fall 2019) or ACC 201 (if entered after Fall 2019) or ACC 202 (if taken prior to Fall 2019)
- BUS 310 Statistical Analysis for Business Decisions
- BUS 311 Information for Global Business Environment
(3 credits, prerequisite course: ICS 101 or LTEC 112 AND 113)
- BUS 313 Economic & Financial Environment of Global Business
(3 credits, prerequisite courses: ECON 130 and ECON 131)
- BUS 314 Business Finance
(3 credits, prerequisite courses: ACC 201 and 200 or 202, ECON 130 and ECON 131)
- Exceptions to substitute business courses other than those listed, are not allowed.
- Prerequisites to business courses are strictly enforced.
- TIM Majors cannot receive credit for both BUS 312 and TIM 304; and both BUS 315 and TIM 303. Therefore, TIM students will take MKT 311 or 351 in lieu of BUS 312; and MGT 341 or HRM 351 in lieu of BUS 315.
- Clearance for business minor courses will be provided to admitted students for the Fall and Spring registration periods.
- Shidler Residency Requirement: 9 credits towards the minor must be taken at the Shidler College of Business-no more than 6 credits will be accepted from other Universities/Institutions.
|Priority Deadline||Final Deadline|
|Fall||March 1st||April 1st|
|Spring||October 1st||November 1st|