- Ph.D., Political Science, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
- M.S., Defense and Strategic Studies, Missouri State University
- B.A., Anthropology, University of California, Berkeley
- BUS 200 Introduction to Business (3)
- BUS 209 Written Communication in Business (3)
- BUS 310 Statistical Analysis for Business Decisions (3)
- BUS 312 Principles of Marketing (3)
- BUS 315 Global Management and Organizational Behavior (3)
- MKT 311 Consumer Behavior (3)
- MKT 381 Multinational Marketing (3)
- BUS 623 Marketing Management (3)
- Healthcare Consumer Behavior
- Decision Psychology
- Marketing Strategy
- Marketing and Public Policy
- Sustainable Marketing
Friend, J., & Alden, D.L. Improving patient preparedness and confidence in discussing advance directives for end-of-life care with healthcare providers in the U.S. and Japan. Medical Decision Making, 41(1), 60-73.
Dolan, H., Alden, D.L., Friend, J., Lee, P.Y., Lee, Y.K., Ng, C.J., Abdullah, K.L., & Trevena, L. (2019). Culture, self, and medical decision making in Australia and China: A structural model analysis. MDM Policy & Practice, 4( 2), 1-14.
Alden, D.L., Friend, J., Fraenkel, L., & Jibaja-Weiss, M. (2018). The effects of culturally targeted patient decision aids on medical consultation preparation for Hispanic women in the U.S.: Results from four randomized experiments. Social Science & Medicine, 212, 17-25.
Alden, D.L., Friend, J., Lee, P.Y., Lee, Y.K., Trevena, L., Ng, C.J., Kiatpongsan, S., Abdullah, K.L., Tanaka, M., & Limpongsanurak, S. (2018). Who decides – me or we? Family involvement in medical decision making in Eastern and Western countries. Medical Decision Making, 38(1), 14-25.
Alden, D.L., Friend, J., Lee, A., de Vries, M., Osawa, R., & Chen, Q. (2015). Culture and medical decision making: Healthcare consumer perspectives in Japan and the United States. Health Psychology, 34(12), 1133-1144.
Alden, D.L., Friend, J., Schapira, M., & Stiggelbout, A. (2014). Cultural targeting and tailoring of shared decision making technology: A theoretical framework for improving the effectiveness of patient decision aids in culturally diverse groups. Social Science & Medicine, 105, 1-8.
Alden, D.L., Friend, J., & Chun, M. (2013). Shared Decision Making and Patient Decision Aids: Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices Among Hawai'i Physicians. Hawai'i Journal of Medicine & Public Health, 72(11), 396-400.
Awards & Honors
- Graduate Degree Fellowship, East-West Center, 2010-2012