The GCPA program was not scheduled for 2014. Please check back here for updates.
The accounting profession is undergoing significant change and new opportunities are opening up for non-accounting professionals wishing to enter the field of accounting. The field has been gaining more attention and respect, which generates strong demand for accountants. As many of the current accountants are facing retirement, the demand for new accountants is increasing. Further, the starting salaries for accountants are highly competitive.
Shidler College of Business Graduate Certificate in Professional Accounting (GCPA) is an accelerated program especially designed to prepare individuals to enter the accounting profession, who don’t yet have the necessary academic background. This intensive seven-month program will enable participants to gain a fundamental accounting foundation and have the necessary accounting credits to sit for the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) examination in Hawaii. The CPA examination is regarded as one of the most competitive licensing exams in the nation for its highly demanding exam contents.
- Understand how accounting and financial decisions affect the firm’s value, legal governance, and strategy.
- Develop the ability to interpret financial statements.
- Develop participants’ understanding of auditing and assurance and taxation.
- Build participants’ foundation of accounting principles, analysis, and legal environment.
- Acquire twenty-four credit hours of accounting course necessary for CPA examination.
Distance Learning Technology
The GCPA program uses Blackboard Collaborate to create a virtual office, furnished with whiteboard, chat, audio, video and recording functions. The format offers an immersive learning community with the flexibility of distance learning. Its design allows participants on the neighbor islands to pursue a graduate certificate while continuing to live and work in their place of residence.