PACE Entrepreneurs is a program that aims to identify creative and entrepreneurial-minded students at the University of Hawaii. A small group of not more than 10 students will be selected each Fall semester. Each cohort will receive priority mentorship and a wealth of opportunities from the Pacific Asian Center for Entrepreneurship that will help each student fulfill their entrepreneurial aspirations.
2012 - 13 PACE Entrepreneurs
LT to RT, back row: Vance Roley (Shidler College of Business Dean), David Yarber (JD '13), Brendan Mulligan (MBA candidate), Matthew Melloy (MBA candidate), Andy Landgraf (MBA candidate) and Scott Lukas (Natural Sciences PhD candidate)
LT to RT, front row: Susan Yamada (PACE Executive Director) and Katy Gassaway (JD '13)
Why be a PACE Entrepreneur?
- Receive customized mentorship
- Included in guest lists for special PACE events
- Invited to community trade group meetings, including Hawaii Angels, Hawaii Venture Capital Association
- Networking opportunities with business professionals, entrepreneurs, angel investors and venture capitalists
Upon completion of the requirements:
- Receive a $1,000 Business Development Award
- Awarded a Certificate of Recognition
- Student must have a creative perspective and passion for entrepreneurship
- Student must have a desire to learn more about the entrepreneurial process
- Student must either want to start their own business, or work in a startup environment
- Nominee must be a current, classified, graduate student or PhD candidate at the University of Hawaii
- Student may be from any UH campus, including community college campuses
- Student may be in any field of study
What's the process?
- Students must be nominated by a faculty member or UH staff person, such as an academic advisor.
- A selection committee will chose students to go through an in-person interview with the PACE Executive Director.
- Students who are selected as PACE Entrepreneurs will be given further instructions, including expectations and requirements.
What are the requirements?
PACE Entrepreneurs will be required to complete the following:
- Attend monthly group meetings
- Attend at least one PACE event
- Meet with at least 2 Professionals-in-Residence (PIR) and or Virtual Professionals-in-Residence (VPIR)